Even though school won’t be back in session for several weeks, it’s a good idea to start shopping for school supplies now. Discount department stores and office supply stores have weekly specials throughout the summer, so you if you start early, you can pick up the best bargains a little at a time.
It’s a countdown to back to school, so here are 7 tips for shopping for back to school supplies:
1. Check the local store flyers to take maximum advantage of back to school sales. Hang on to flyers and ads that advertise back to school supplies at a special price.
2. Make a list and get the kids involved. Use the recommended list provided by your child’s chool as a starting point. Sit down with your child and go over the list together. This helps your child to learn to shop wisely and be more organized.
3. Try setting a budget. It helps your kids learn how to set priorities to manage their money and start saving their allowance money for the school supplies that your budget doesn’t allow.
4. Sort and organize last year’s supplies to see what can be used or re-used. Re-stock your child’s study area.
5. Keep your school supplies list in your wallet, purse or car. As you do other errands, you’ll be able to take advantage of back-to-school sales because you will always have your school supplies list on hand.
6. Buy papers, pencils, notebooks and glue sticks in bulk and set up a supply shelf or storage area at home so that you do not run out of supplies all year long.
7. Get your kids to be environmentally friendly. Motivate them to add pizzazz to last year’s notebook with stickers or photos to give it a brand new look. Encourage them to start a scrapbook bin so that writing on just one side can be re-used.
Finally, remember your budget and don’t be tempted to overspend!
FREE BACK TO SCHOOL FORMS & CHECKLISTS!
Register for my free back to school forms, which include a form to combine all of your child’s teacher info, plus morning checklists. As a bonus you will receive my CastAway the Clutter! Timely Tips organizing newsletter. Get your back to school forms here.